Saturday, March 31, 2007

Its all about the music

If I had to choose whether to be blind or deaf, I dont think Id have to think about it. Id choose blindness. No contest. Music is too important to me.

Years ago, from about the time I was 8 up until I was 10 or 11, I took piano lessons. Sadly, they didnt stick well. It wasnt that I didnt want to, or that I didnt practice, it was just that the normal teaching method...whatever that was, didnt work on me. Eventually, I stopped when my last piano teacher went on maternity leave and never took it back up again. Nowadays I get envious of piano players, wishing I could sit down and play something from 'The Piano'(an...interesting movie, but an INCREDIBLE soundtrack). At present, I can more or less read music, and can pluck out the melody to almost any song Ive ever heard. I might be able to add a chord or two. Thats it.

More recently, Im semi decent at the guitar, so long as there are no bar-chords.

Maybe some people would consider me one of those types that always have to have 'background noises' around (always having the TV or radio on, whether or not theyre paying attention to it). In some ways, I suppose its possible, but I kind of hope not. So what if listening to music helps me concentrate and keep me from going stir crazy? Its not background music. Im listening.

Ive always been like this. I remember that it was cause for discussion during a parent-teacher conference in 6th grade. Everyone thought the radio and my tapes were to distracting. The solution? Listen to classical. The compromise? Hooked on Classics. Eventually, I decided that while HoC was an awesome series, some of the music sounded fine without the addins. I suppose we should blame thank Mrs. Dryden for that.


My music taste is extremely ecclectic for the most part. I love what I call 'modern' classical (read: movie soundtracks), celtic, celtic rock, rock, alternative, techno, country, some folk...theres not a lot I dont like. I suppose rap/hip-hop falls into this category though. After ten minutes or so it starts to sound monotonous.

I have different music for different moods. If Im pissed, Ill usually stick Evanesence in my CD player and turn the volume. Celtic music helps me to relax, and Peter Gabriel's Solisbury Hill can usually calm me down at any given time. I have two CDs which I call 'Happy Music' Vol. I and II. Dont be fooled by the titles. I burned them when I was depressed. When I want to think of home, I play David Lamotte.


Being hearing impaired is bad (and annoying) enough. But I dont think I could live with deafness.

21/30
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home