Friday, March 30, 2007

programmers with too much time on thier hands...

Back when I was in the market for an MP3 player, iPods were nowhere near the top of my list. To me, they were too mainstream and at the time they didnt support windows media files. .wma's make up about half of my music collection. The other half being mp3 files. If I got a pod, Id have to convert all the wma's to either mp3 or iTune format which is something I dont have the time or the hard drive space for. Eventually, I ended up with a Creative Zen Touch. Although it doesnt look as pretty or have the graphic capabilities that pods have now, its suits me just fine. Plus I like the Creative line. My previous mp3 player of 128megs was a creative nomad. Lasted through a couple years of hard use til I was ready to upgrade.

Then something happened.

I was browsing Facebook for some decent linux groups when I saw it. A couple years ago someone developed a kernel for iPod. I was sort of amazed and amused at the same time. It didnt surprise me a bit that someone had done it though.

While linux on Pods are all well and good, that wasnt what had me briefly consider looking into a ipod vid for 10 minutes.

On the FB group, the primary showing and discussion for Linux on iPod video was Doom. The original 1993 old school Doom.

I fucking love that game. Ive been playing it sense I was 12ish and it was a shareware game that came with Wolfenstein 3D. Hell, I still cant figure out how Final Doom was released without me knowing about it.

Fortunately, common sense prevailed. I still dont need a Pod, and can play Doom, DoomII, and Final Doom whenever the hell I want on my laptop. Or find a cheap gameboy advance and the those games, along with Wolf3D and DukeNukem3D from ebay.

20/30
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home