Thursday, March 08, 2007

Linux

For the past couple weeks, Ive been dabbing around in the world of the Linux OS. So far, my sucess has been mixed. At present, Im currently DLing and burning LiveCDs of various distro's. At the moment, Ubuntu and Knoppix are the only two that Ive done anything with. I just finnished burning a Mepis .iso, and Im currently DLing a Kubuntu and PClinuxOS.

So far, things havent quite gone as well as I have hoped. My ubuntu CD seems more like a demo disk, acting like it wants me to actually install the thing before I go further. Maybe Im missing something (probable)here. While I hope to install linux in a dual-boot system with my exsisting WinXP, Im not there yet. Ubuntu also doesnt want to read my hard drives correctly, and I forgot to write down the error message. derr.

The first time I booted Knoppix, it worked quite well with the exception of my wireless card. At the time, that wasnt a big deal. Everything else worked okay, and I could get help with that part later. When I ran Knoppix again last week, I had all kinds of trouble. I couldnt get to the place where I was last attempting to get my wireless up and running, and when I did things like atempt to consult the help file, or minor things such as chaning the desktop appearance, it told me that the directories/files werent there and had to be created. I did what it told me to do. Whatever it DID do, it still didnt work.

Later today, Im going to try the Mepis disk I just burned and see what happens, along with the PCLinuxOS and the Kubuntu. Hopefully those will work. I dont recall if it was Mepis or PCLinux that wouldnt do anything when I booted it. Maybe I had burned it wrong.

Any assistance with the afformentioned Ubuntu/Knoppix problems (and anything else for that matter) would be greatly appreciated.

Stay tuned to this post for updates. :\


UPDATE 1.0 Mepis was a mostly succesfull test, I suppose. Due to time constraints I didnt get to test it as much as I had wanted to. It also did something that strongly resembled freezeing up on me. Whichever programs caused this were 'terminated', but it never unfroze.

One thing I have noticed as far as wireless goes, on the ones that tell me that my wireless card is disabled it wont tell me where to go to enable the thing, and for the life of me I cant find it. gr.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home