Friday, February 23, 2007

Let's talk briefly about your work ethic

If you were to look at my old livejournal, youll probably come across a mini-rant or two about incompetent co-workers. It turned to mostly online growling, as I didnt want to be repetitive and bitch about the same old thing.

However, I dont think Ive graced this page with a work-rant yet. So here we go.

Right now, Im currently employed as a laneserver (read: waitress) at a bowling alley. A job that was only supposed to last a couple months is creeping towards the year and a half mark. Though its not the best thing I could be doing, most of the time I suppose I like my job. I like chatting and working with the league regulars (well, most of them, anyway) that bowl there.

These past few weeks its gotten much harder for me to go to work. Im at a point where I could easily not show up, and turn my phone off to avoid "where are you?" calls...and I wouldnt give a damn. I wouldnt give a damn about the consequences to me, or to a bowling center and bowlers that have become dependant upon laneservice. I was so tempted tonight to just walk out and let them deal with irate customers. As a laneserver, I have very little control of the quality of the food that goes to the floor. I put the orders in, and I take them out to the floor when theyre ready. If theyre wrong, then I can bitch about it. The thing is, the order isnt exactly "wrong". Its just below the standard expected by AMF. Technically, below standard = wrong, but my colleagues dont care. The customer wanted BBQ Wings? Okay, plain fried wings with a little sauce squirted on top. There ya go. Next order? They dont care if its not right, and they refuse to fix it because, as I mentioned earlier, its not "wrong". It doenst help matters any if the customer is a regular and knows damn good and well what he is supposed to get, as opposed to the wimpy plate of wings I ended up taking to him. Of course I ended up taking the brunt of his complaints. He's well within his right to complain, and he damn well should. Except that as a lowly lane-server, there isnt a hell of a lot I can do about it. I dont have the authority to give out refunds. Depending on whose in the back cooking, I can usually sneak in an extra order of this or that as a supplement. I was lucky tonite. Im usually not. The most I can do is send management their way, and assure them that I will also be speaking to my bosses on the matter. Im getting tired of having to make lameass exscuses as to why certain foods are unavailable, when, in reality, my co-workers are just lazy.

Their incompetence gives me less and less desire to do my job. Seriously, how am I supposed to deliver a product that I know is below standard and the cooks refuse to correct?

Yes, the center managers are aware of the problems. As a matter of fact, we recently got back a rather ugly secret shopper report that implicated two of them in exactly what Im trying to say here. The customer waited at the counter to be served for quite some time while the snackbar attendant merrily chatted to someone else that was around. Just small talk. An order that should have taken about 10 minutes tops took 35. The thing is, at the time, I dont think theres a lot that can be done about it now. We're barely running on a skeletal staff as it is, and cant afford to let anyone go. I dont know how theyre running the hiring process, but I hope they get some fresh blood here soon. Some, perhaps, with a work ethic.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

1 Comments:

Blogger Ben-Ohki said...

Hate to sound harsh, and I can understand that it only takes a few to ruin it for everyone, but your bowling alley for quickly make "The List" Sadly my personal black-list is getting rather long and I'm quickly running out of places to get food.

And don't get me wrong - I've been in the food-service industry myself (read: "fast food fry-guy") and I've seen both sides of the counter, so to speak. So I really feel for you.

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home