Tuesday, September 30, 2008

2+2=5. Seriously! Just ask any math major!

Because by the time these students reach college, their math textbook is about 99.5% anything but numbers. They can do all kinds of things with letter and symbols.

Numbers? Nah. Basic arithmetic stuff got tossed out the window long ago. Dont believe me? Okay. When you go down to write down a team score on bowling, game subtotals and handicaps are given to you. Series totals? Your on your own. On most of the college league recaps, they fill out the provided game scores, only to leave series blank. I dont know if its because theyre lazy, or they panic at the thought of adding big numbers.

As I was processing their scores yesterday, I was muttering incoherent not-so-nice things about them (I do this all the time to all of the leagues at some point.) and theyre stellar math skills, and how college students should fricking know how to add.

Ahem. Right. At the computer next to me, one of the mechanics (a student) was taking some kind of test when he overheard my peeved ramblings. Apparently, math majors having issues with basic math isnt all that uncommon. One of the bowlers on his team is a math major, and he's always having to correct some of his score totals.
Or so he says. It wouldnt surprise me.

Math professors need to stick a page or two of 6th grade math quizzes in the next exams.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home