Friday, June 20, 2008

I almost hate computers now.

With the added income of a decent tax return, plus the stimuli check, I had planned on getting a new laptop.

Easier said than done.

Problem One: Vista. The initial response for this OS was generally a massive FAIL. So of course I wanted little or nothing to do with it. It looked pretty, but other than that, no thank you. When I got the laptop Im currently using, Vista had just been released, so XP Machines were still floating around a-plenty.

Now, a couple years later, its quite the opposite. I think Ive found one decent new computer thats got XP. Probably because Microsoft stops selling the thing at some point this month.

I ask around. Is Vista really that bad?

Responses vary. I got everything from "Best. OS. EVER!" to "Almost as bad as ME", and everything in between. Not helpful, people.

After some poking around, and annoying more people about this topic, I finally said "what the hell". Ill get a damn Vista. If I dont like it, Ill down it.

Here we have problem 2:
Microsoft has made is very, very difficult to do this. One would have to have a good deal of time on their hands and figure out, then find the various drivers needed to do this. Apparently wireless ones are a bitch to find, as are some sound card drivers.

If need be, Im about 75% sure I can figure all this crap out. Maybe. I like voiding warranties.

Thats another thing. Taking it back to XP is a damn good way to kill the warranty on it. Thats alright though, because I always get an extended via whatever store I get it from.
Which, if its not from an online retailer, will be Best Buy. Initially, I was going to get it from Circuit City. I like them, and Ive had issues with BB (Best Buy) in the past. Problem is that if I get it from CC (Circuit City) and then decide to downgrade, FireDog has to do it, or Ill void that $200 warranty too. Taking it to them will take forever, and itll cost me at least another $100.
Not so with Best Buy. The employee informed me that their warranty covers hardware only, and that installing an OS is pretty much seen as a software upgrade (he compared it to installing virus software). Me screwing with the OS wont kill the BB warranty.
Gee, wonder who Ill pick.

If that wasnt enough, I did in fact find one I really liked. Of course theres a problem. Vista, no service pack. Enough (anti-vista, too) people have said that SP1 is necessary.

I cant win.


I have to wonder why Im giving myself such a damn headache over a laptop. Why not get a Mac? or install Linux?

Unless someone has a spare $1000-$1500+ they can give me, I wont be touching Macs. Id love to try a MacBook, but its sadly quite out of my price range.
At some point in time, Im going to figure out which one of these LiveCD boot disks I like the most and install it on my old school desktop. For something completely (sorta) new? Not yet. I cant afford to start from scratch with something I dont know that much about yet.

Though, if while downgrading, I manage to break it...I have 7 linux CDs.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home